Thursday, January 15, 2009

Seasons Greetings

The morning came around and I was wide awake. The sun was shining into my room hitting its rays on my feet, it was warm. After breakfast I headed to Montgomery Park to meet up with some friends to later go shopping at the mall and maybe get a glimpse at the new store opening there.
Jane Brook and Chelsea were all waiting by the old oak tree, we walked to the mall. It was cold and snowy but the sun shone high above. With coats, hats and scarves we strolled down Fairy Avenue. Once there we stopped by the candy store and bought some lollipops. The accessories store was near and without hesitation we were there.
The day went on smoothly, we had lunch at the food court and by suppertime I was home. With my new coat and bots in hand I went to the kitchen to only find Whiskers eating at her bowl. Something was in the oven and it wanted attention.
"Ten minutes till’ supper"
She was told by her mother who appeared in the kitchen pulling out plates from the cupboard.
I immediately opened the silverware drawer and took out four forks and knives.
"We have guests today so make it six forks and knives, aunt and uncle Wilberk are over for Christmas and this year from Ohio."
Oh no not the Wilberks, she thought to herself. With their odd odor, sagging skin, insightful remarks and foreign manners, and the fact that they are fascinated with youngsters for that they did not have kids of their own. Sure they were nice but they were the odd bunch of the family. Good thing they came to visit once in a blue moon for the occasional family gathering.
The table was set and we were all seated about to begin prayer, I’m busy minding my own business, Jimmy feeds whiskers some chicken and my parents offer their attentive ears to the ramblings of the Wilberks particularly uninteresting stories of their trips to Asia. I can smell them from over here and I’m on the opposite side of the table. How long were they going to be here again? Oh yea, about two weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You surely have a knack for this. I can't wait to see how these posts will evolve with more and more practice. Never stop doing what you love.

    ReplyDelete